Considered among the best places for scuba diving in the Western Hemisphere, Cozumel has been almost completely rebuilt after being hit by Hurricane Wilma in 2005.
Cozumel is one of the Caribbean Islands, located right off the Yucatan Peninsula, in southern Mexico.
How to get to Cozumel
There is an international airport in Cozumel. Many flights link the island with major Northern American cities (US and Canada). Also, there are numerous domestic flights between Mexico City and Cozumel.
Alternatively, tourists can fly into Cancun, take a bus to Playa del Carmen and then take the ferry to Cozumel.
Blessed with Tropical weather, Cozumel is also right in the pass of tropical storms. Over the year, the temperatures don’t vary too much; staying at a maximum average around 85 F and a minimum average around 73 F.
The tropical rain season starts in August and lasts until October.
>>more information on Weather in Mexico
Diving in Cozumel
Most tourists come to Cozumel for scuba diving. There are also several beach clubs offering snorkeling, but the main attractions are the reefs off shore. And don’t worry: there are many companies willing to take you there!
Dive operators on the island:
- Scuba Club Cozumel is the first resort for divers, own by divers; excellent service and great packages.
- Scuba Staff Divers is considered the best company for diving tours. Two of the main locations where you can dive are at huge wall at Santa Rosa and Catedral.
- Deep Blue is particularly known for their fast boats.
- Living Underwater caters generally for advanced divers, offering long dives.
Other things to do
There are plenty of resorts to choose from, each offering a variety of services. You can choose one of the cheapest resorts or look for a luxury place to spend your vacation.
Swimming with the dolphins is another popular activity. Head to the Chankanaab Natural Park and watch these intelligent creatures during the show and then play with them.
On the east side of the island you’ll find some nice beaches, although the area is not really developed. Also, there are quite a lot of restaurants that cater for the tourists.
Several Mayan ruins are located on Cozumel. The most important ones are located at San Gervasio and Templo El Caracol.
>> more information on Mayan ruins
- Through numerous hotels you can book a diving tour when booking your hotel. If you prefer to book your vacation via a travel agent, make sure to ask them about such packages.
- If you like silver, buy it here. It’s cheaper than in US but be careful to look for the stamp since there will be fake silver on the market as well.