The American embassy and the consular network in Mexico are meant to help the US citizens living in Mexico or traveling to Mexico.
The embassy or consulates can help the US citizens in the following instances:
- lost or stolen passport
- if a US citizen is injured or seriously ill
- when a US citizen dies abroad (options, costs, Report of Death)
- when a US citizen is arrested abroad
- in case of a child abduction
- in case a US citizen needs a lawyer
- in case a US citizen loses money or other financial resources
- in case a US citizen is victim of a crime
- if you need to reach a US citizen located in Mexico
For after-hour emergencies, call the Embassy and ask to be transferred to the duty officer: 01-900-849-4949 from anywhere in Mexico.
American Embassy in Mexico City
Paseo de la Reforma 305
06500 Mexico, D.F.
Official American Embassy in Mexico Website
Tel : ( 01-55 ) 5080-2000
Fax: ( 01-55 ) 5525-5040
From the U.S.:
Working hours (Central Time):
Monday to Friday: 8:30 a.m. – 5 p.m. except on US and Mexican holidays
American Consulates in Mexico
In case of an emergency, a US citizen needs to contact the consulate located closest to where the problem occurred. You’ll find US Consulates in the following cities: Cd. Juarez, Guadalajara, Hermosillo, Matamoros, Merida, Monterrey, Nogales, Nuevo Laredo, Tijuana, as well as two virtual posts in El Bajio and Chiapas & Tabasco.
Map of the American Embassy in Mexico City
Here’s an interactive map pointing to the location of the American Embassy in Mexico City.